Thursday, January 20, 2011

Twisted Documentation

There is currently much discussion on the twisted mailing list about improving twisted documentation. I'm one of many who think the documentation could be improved. I found a major problem to be a lack of introduction to the twisted mental model---the fact that it uses cooperative timesharing and blocking calls to handle events.

Victor Norman suggested Dave Peticolas' Twisted Introduction. Reading the first article which explains the Twisted "mental model" felt like a breath of fresh air. I disagree with his use of asynchronous, which implies parallel, non-blocking, etc. But, starting with the mental model is definitely the right approach. Now, if only this documentation could be integrated with the main documentation...

P.S. Dave Peticolas---I've heard that name before. Sure enough, he worked on GnuCash, my accounting program of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment